My first visit to a winery in Europe was only as recent as 2008, during a multi-country road trip through Germany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands. We were on a tight schedule, but we managed to make a quick stop in the Alsace region to sample some local wines. It was quite a departure from what I was used to in Napa Valley where you will find loads of tasting rooms. The Alsace is a small region and not everyone who produces wine has facilities set up for public tasting.
Founded in 1998, Thierry-Martin is the creation of fourth generator wine producers Thierry Unterreiner and Martin Lorentz. Joining forces, they combined the family vineyards to create 29 acres (12 hectares), all within view of their new production and cellar facilities in Wangen. In 2000, Cecile Lorentz, daughter of Martin Lorentz, joined the winery’s operations after completing her wine studies at Beaune. Cecile became the cellar master in 2004 and two years later, she took over the operations from the founding winemakers.
Wangen, France – The Bas-Rhin Region of the Alsace
Thierry-Martin is located in Wangen, a small medieval town at the northern tip of the Bas-Rhin. This region is known as ‘the gateway to vineyards’. Wangen is filled with almost 300 acres of planted vines and is the only area of the Bas-Rhin wine region to have vineyards fully facing south.
Aside from the world-renowned French wines produced here, the Bas-Rhin region of France is filled with enriching historic and cultural sights, as well as gastronomic delights. The city of Strasbourg is nearby, which is one of the two seats for the European Parliament.
Types of Wines Offered at Thierry-Martin
This region is known for amazing white wines and Thierry-Martin produces some excellent varietals. Surprising to some, they have even managed to produce a red wine in this typical white-wine-growing region. Along with their pairing suggestions, here are some of the varietals that Thierry-Martin currently produces.
- Sylvaner: A fruity wine, which is very light. Its richness and dry qualities will pair well with fish, seafood, and certain types of cheese.
- Auxerrois: This tender and delicate wine combines the roundness and fruity aroma of plums. This wine will also pair well with seafood and some cheeses.
- Riesling: This Riesling is dry and elegant, offering a delicate floral nose and slight mineral elements. Pair this wine with shellfish, fish, white meats, and cheeses like a sharp Gouda or goat cheese.
- Pinot Gris: Aromas of fruits that evolve into smoky, almost woody tones. Serve this wine as an aperitif, with white meat, a roast, game, and fish served with a sauce.
- Gewurztraminer: This is a very full-bodied wine, bursting with aromas of flowers and spice. It is filled with notes of exotic fruits, tropical flowers, and spices. They recommend serving it with brioche, apple tart, foie gras, or Roquefort cheese.
- Pinot Noir: A very nice Pinot, this wine exhibits aromas of berries and cherries, and has soft tannins. Pair with game, veal, sausages, and even chocolate desserts.
- Crémant: This is produced by blending the Pinot Blanc, Auxerrois, and Pinot Noir. Consume as an aperitif or with strawberries for dessert.
Where to Buy Thierry-Martin Wines
Wines can be purchased direct from the winery and shipped internationally. These award-winning French wines are also available to buy online. Their website has an order form to download, listing all the available wines with current prices. International shipping rates will vary, and the winery will need to confirm those charges based on the shipping destination.
Wine Tasting at Thierry-Martin Winery
For those interested in wine tasting in France, visitors to the Thierry-Martin Winery can either make an appointment or just stop in during their normal business hours. For groups interested in a winery tour and tasting, contact them in advance to make arrangements. The winery’s seasonal hours are:
September 1st to June 30th: Mon-Thurs (2pm-7pm), Fri (10am-noon and 2pm-7pm), Sat (10am-noon and 2pm-5pm), and Sun (10am-noon)
July 1st to August 31st: Mon-Fri (10am-noon and 2pm-7pm), Sat (10am-noon and 2pm-5pm), Sun (10am-noon)
Thierry-Martin is located at the northern tip of the Alsace Wine Trail, making it easy to find.
Vins d’Alsace and Crémant Thierry Martin RD 142 Route Westhoffen 67520 Wangen France Phone: 03 88 04 11 22 Fax: 03 88 04 11 21 Email: email@example.com